What are the best drill bits for metal in the market?
I am sure that after reading this article, your confusion will go away. I bet.
Any good handyman knows the importance of a good drilling machine in their tool repertoire.
However, the truth is, even the best drilling machine would not do you any good if you do not use the right drill bit with it.
Quality drill bit for metal, in combination with a proper drilling machine, is the formula for construction-work success stories!
We are therefore very keen on letting you in on some of the best drill bits for metal here on our article today.
Drill bits, especially the ones used for drilling metals, play a crucial part in every sort of construction or repair work you can think of. Hence, getting these tiny yet essential tool right is very important.
And to help you find the best drill bits for metal, we have put together a buying guide that is your one-stop for everything drill bit.
We have picked top 4 metal drill bits for you!
|DeWalt Titanium Drill Bit||21 Piece||1/16″ to 1/2″|
|DeWalt Black-Oxide Drill Bit||20 Piece||135° Split Point|
|Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit||230 Piece||Coated HSS|
|DeWalt Cobalt Pilot Point Drill||29 Piece||1/16″ to 1/2″|
Best Drill Bits for Metal in 2017 : Reviews of 10 Products
We have furthermore compiled a list of your FAQs and reviews of our favorite and drill bits for you to look from. Let’s start!
1. DEWALT DW1361 Titanium Pilot Point Drill Bit Set – 21-Piece, 1/16″ to 1/2″
The first drill bit to make it to our list is the DEWALT DW1361 titanium Pilot Point Drill Bit Set.
The DW1361 drill bit sets offers a wide range of drill bits sizing from 1/16th of an inch to ½ an inch. Its drill bits furthermore use no-spin and web tapered shanks to minimize the chances of it displacing, slipping or walking during the action.
The DW1361 titanium drill bit set also uses the patented Pilot Point, meaning its drill bits will start instantly upon contact giving you a cleaning finish on the drilled holes.
Finally, of course, these drill bits are also titanium coated for durability. And all of these comes nicely tucked and placed inside a safe, sturdy carrying case which is very compact and thus, portable.
However, there are a few thing that separate the DW1361 titanium pilot point drill bit set from the former.
First of all, this is a 21-piece kit. Second, these drill bits are strong enough to drill through most woods, plastics and most non-ferrous metals.
- Includes an assorted range of drill bits
- Is titanium coated; durable
- Usable on non-ferrous metal, wood and plastic
- Uses patented Pilot Point which starts on contact
- No-spin, tapered shanks; less slippage
- Is compact and portable; comes in a handy hard-case
- One of the best drill bits for wood
- Tends to snap easily
- Melts and shears on pressure
2. DEWALT DW1177 Black-Oxide Metal Drill Bit Set – 20-Piece, 135 Degree Split Point Design
Now, if you are looking for an upgrade from the DW1361 and a higher number of drill bits, then take a look at the DW1177 Metal Drill Bit Set for it.
The DW1177 drill bit set is a 20-piece kit, which comprises of 20 drill bits of 20 different sizes ranging from 1/16th to ½ of an inch.
Needless to say, this set is going to become your go-to for various different types of drilling work ahead. Each drill bit features a parabolic flute design, which gives the bits more strength and power drilling through various hard objects.
Speaking of which, comes the angles. Each drill bit on the DW1177 set is split-point and at 135°, thus, preventing chances of slippage or walking. This, as a result, gives you more control over the drill machine and the final result is cleaner and more precise.
The DW1177 Metal Drill Bit Set is therefore ideal for drilling through most soft metals, plastics and woods.
And finally, to ensure that this drill bit sets lasts the extra years, the DW1177 drill bits come with a very protected and hard carrying case. Each drill bit is furthermore has a black oxide coating to make them more durable.
- 20-piece kit
- Usable on soft metals, plastics and soft woods
- Black oxide coated and therefore pretty durable
- Uses a parabolic flute design
- Proper angled bits to ensure less slippage and walking
- Is compact and portable; comes in a carrying hard-case
- Snaps easily
- Tends to bend
- Grips loosely on hard objects due round shank
3. Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set For Metal – 230 Pcs, Coated HSS, 1/16″ up to 1/2″
Alright. We think it’s about time we take it up a notch and introduce you to a drill bit set that is a little OTT: The Mastercraft Titanium Drill Bit Set. Perfect for those of you who are looking for the best of versatility and flexibility!
The mastercraft titanium drill bit set, brace yourself, is a 230-piece kit. Yeah, we weren’t kidding about taking it up a notch, ey?
You get 19 different types and sizes of drill bits that range from 1/16th of an inch to ½ an inch. You have everything labeled on the box so it should be able to identify.
The bottom line is, it gives you enough choice of bits to do various different types of drilling on multiple types of surfaces.
This drill bit Set is fantastic for use on wood, metal, fiberglass and plastics. Make sure you do not apply the drill bits on masonry or concrete however.
As for durability, the drill bits are all made from titanium coated HSS. You can more or less expect these bits to outlast some of the best drill bits you have! They are so durable in fact, that they are more likely to last 6 times longer than your average and conventional bits! Yep. 6 times.
And finally of course, the 230 drill bits are very neatly and securely tucked inside their compartments inside its very sturdy and portable hard-case.
- It offers a huge range of sassorted drill bits
- Are titanium coated HSS bits; lasts 6 time longer
- Perfect for use on metals, woods, fiberglass and plastics
- Are split-point bits; great for woodwork
- Comes in a durable, strong hard-case
- Smaller bits have a tendency to bend and snap
- Poorly labeled sizes; very confusing
4. DEWALT DW1269 Cobalt Pilot Point Metal Drill Bit Set – 29-Piece, 1/16″ to 1/2″
And the forth name to make it to our list is the DW1269 Cobalt Pilot Point Metal Drill Bit Set from DEWALT.
The DW1269 drill bit set is a 29-piece kit which offers drill bits ranging from 1/16th of an inch to ½ an inch to enable to execute a huge variety of drilling jobs.
Each drill has a pilot point tip and furthermore, starts on contact, which helps produce cleaner and more precise results due to reduced vibrations. The DW1269 cobalt drill bit set is especially ideal for drilling holes into soft metals and woods.
However, you can just as well use them on plastics. Stay away from masonry, though. This isn’t a masonry kind of drill bit set. Anyway, finally yet importantly, every drill bits sits inside a safe and portable plastic hard case.
As for durability and strength, the DW1269 metal drill bit set, as you can guess from the name already, uses cobalt drill bits.
These things dissipate heat and are harder than your average HSS or steel. However, not just any cobalt bits will do, this set offers you drill bits which are industrial grade which only makes the drilling better!
- TheDW1269 comprises of a great range of versatile drill bits
- Cobalt drill bits; durable and harder
- Uses Pilot Point tips which start immediately upon contact thus giving you cleaner results
- Best on abrasive metals, steels and wood
- Industrial grade
- Comes in a hard-case
- Tends to snap on thin aluminum
5. Irwin Tools 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set – 29 Piece, 135° Split Point Tip
We have all heard some great things about Irwin Tool’s drill bits, and many people swear by it. And one drill bit set which justifies such commitment is the 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set from the company.
If you are a cobalt kind of person, then this is it. The 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set is a 29-piece kit made out of cobalt.
This means less heat retention, less friction and more hardness. The 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set is made out of industrial grade HSS and 5% cobalt alloy which makes it heat and friction-resistant.All in all, we are assuming the 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set should last you’re a very good amount of time given that you use it properly.
Speaking of which, these drill bits are ideal for drilling through tough metals, including some heavy-duty abrasive alloy metal drilling on hardened steel. In the set, you will find drill bits ranging from 1/16th of an inch to ½ of an inch, in 1/64 increments. Versatile sizes equals versatile application.
And to reduce walking and vibration, each drill bit is made to a precise 135° and split-point tips.
And finally, the 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bits all come inside a compact metal index for easy storage and convenient carrying.
- The 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set offers a good range of assorted drill bits
- Cobalt construction; durable and strong
- Industrial grade HSS
- Specially great for tough and alloy metals
- Split point bits to reduce friction
- Comes in a carrying case
- Advertises for 8% cobalt when it is actually 5%; false ad
- Dulls easily
- Short in length
6. DEWALT DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Set – 14 Piece, Pilot Point and Split Tip Design
To bring some change to our usual steel and HSS drill bit, we brought a Cobalt Drill Set from DEWALT: the DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Set.
Cobalt, as you may know from our guide already, does not retain heat very much. This makes it absolutely perfect for drilling into tough, hard metals such as stainless steel. These drill bits furthermore tend to be extremely hard, which is always good in our book if you want some heavy-duty work done.
Anyway, theDWA1240 Industrial Cobalt Drill Set is a 14-piece kit which offers drill bits sizing from 1/16th of an inch to 3/8. Clearly, you get various sizes and points to help you do some intricate work done on tough metals.
These drill bits work best on maximum speeds, and feature the patented Pilot Point design. They are furthermore split-point, making them excellent for woodwork as well.
The DWA1240 Industrial Cobalt Drill Set’s bits tend to start on contact, and therefore prevent slippage or walking. They all come neatly placed inside a convenient hard case for easy carrying and portability.
- The DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Set offers a good range of drill bits sizes
- Great for hard metals, as well as woods
- Cobalt bits; very strong and durable
- Uses Pilot Point bits with split-point for extra grip on the surface
- Starts on contact
- Comes in a hard-case
- Tends to heat up
- Snaps under pressure on stainless steel
- Dulls fast
7. Irwin Titanium Nitride Coated Drill Bits Set – 29-Piece, 1/16″ to 1/2″, 135 Degree Split Point Tip
If you happen to like the Irwin Tools 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set, then here’s something a notch above: The Titanium Nitride Coated Metal Drill Bit Set.
The Titanium Nitride Coated Metal Drill Bit Set, to some extent, is more or less very similar to the 3018002 Cobalt M-35 Metal Drill Bit Set.
They are both a 29-piece drill bit kit carrying the same sizes of drill bits. Both drill bit kits are heavy-duty and made for use on similar surfaces. This metal drill bit set also uses 135° split tip designs that start on contact, which help it reduce friction and heat, and drill bit walking and slipping.
And of course, they both come in a nice hard-case. Overall, what we are trying to say is that they 2 kits share very close features. However, there are a few points which make the Titanium Nitride Coated Metal Drill Bit Set better than the former kit.
First of all, the Titanium Nitride Coated Metal Drill Bits are most ideal for repetitive metal drilling with portable drills and for use in stationary drill presses.
Second, these drill bits are titanium coated nitride drill bits, which make them super durable. So much so, that they are more likely to last 6 times longer than your conventional drill bits!
- Offers a versatile array of drill bits
- Great on plastics, wood and hard, abrasive metals
- Split tip design and on-contact activation
- Durable and sharp
- Titanium nitride coated; lasts 6 times as long
- Comes in a hard case
- Many users found Brazilian bits mixed in with the USA ones
8. DEWALT DW1354 Titanium Drill Set Review – 14 Piece, No Spin Shank
Our 8th pick from the quality house of DEWALT. It is the DW1354 Titanium Drill Set, and it is just as good for your wooden projects as it is for the metals!
The DW1354 drill set is a 14-piece kit, which is specifically made for you to use on woods. However, this drill bit set is just as competent on various types of soft metals, like aluminum, as well.
Each drill bit is of a specific size, ranging from 1/6 of n inch to ½ an inch, so you can be sure that you drill will use this set to work for various different types of projects. The shanks are tapered so that you can use them for heavy-duty tasks without fear of breaking them.
These bits are no-spin as well, meaning they won’t slip or walk on your. What’s also nice is that the W1354 Titanium Drill Set furthermore features a patented pilot point tip which starts immediately from contact with the surface, giving you a much cleaning and precise perforation.
Overall, the DW1354 Titanium Drill Set is perfect for people who are looking for a set that is compact, super affordable and of course, competent for some day to day projects.
The set is furthermore made incredibly durable and reliable since each of the drill bits are titanium-coated. Lasts you much longer and much better than your tradition oxide coated drill bits.
And to back you against any defects, the DW1354 Titanium Drill Set furthermore comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- The DW1354 Titanium Drill Set includes an assorted range of drill bits
- Is titanium coated; durable
- Usable on woods, and to some extent on soft metals
- Uses patented Pilot Point which starts on contact
- No-spin, tapered shanks and thus less slippage
- Is compact and portable; comes in a handy hard-case
- Comes with a 30-day money back offer
- Snaps in half very easily
- Dulls quickly
9. BOSCH TI18 Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set – 18 Piece, No Skating, Eliminate Chatter & Vibration
Next up on our list is a quality drill set from a quality company. It is the TI18 Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set from BOSCH.
The TI18 Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set is an 18-piece kit. You have drills bits ranging from 1/16th of an inch to ½ an inch, giving you a wide variety of sizes to do different types of jobs.
These drill bits have a titanium coating, which as we know retains less heat and fortifies the bit material. The result are drill bits that are not only strong and hard, but furthermore durable in the long run!
These drill bits are in fact so strong that you could easily drill through materials (up to 1/8 In.): sheet metal, ducts, steel, wood, copper, plastic, Plexiglas, brass, vinyl siding, plasterboard, aluminum, veneers, PVC, stainless steel and even cast iron!
And they last twice as long as your generic drill bits. Needless to say, these tiny pack packs a punch is clearly more than competent enough to get almost all of your projects done. However, there’s more to the goodness of its construction.
Each drill bit has a balanced double flute designs which does a great job reducing friction and vibration. They are furthermore self-starting, meaning they work immediately on contact.
And finally, to make the set portable and safer, the BOSCH TI18 Titanium Twist Drill Bits come inside a hard plastic case.
- The BOSCH TI18 Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set offers a good range of assorted drill bits
- Is titanium coated; durable
- Drills through a huge ranges of surfaces
- Uses double flute design; reduces friction
- Starts on contact
- Comes in a plastic case
- Dulls easily
10. Craftsman 9-64085 Professional Cobalt Drill Bit Set – 21 Piece, 1/16″ to 3/8″
If you liked the previous cobalt drill bit set, but are looking for a slight upgrade, then the 9-64085 Professional Cobalt Drill Bit Set from Craftsman is something you need to look into.
The 9-64085 Professional Cobalt Drill Bit Set comprises of 21 pieces of cobalt drill bits with sizes ranging from 1/16th of an inch to 3/8th of an inch. Covers a good spectrum from drilling works thanks to the various sizes.
Each of these drill bits are execute some heavy-duty action specifically on hard metals. Goodness of cobalt, after all! Anyway however, these drill bits will perform just as powerfully on hard woods since they use split points.
Speaking of which, these split point drills are furthermore active on contact meaning there is lesser chances an probabilities s of walking and slipping. The result is therefore cleaner and more precise.
Oh and one more thing, the drill bits in the Craftsman 9-64085 Professional Cobalt Drill Bit Set are most recommended for drill presses and stationary machines. Having said that, we have had many users who did just fine using it otherwise, so here’s something to look into.
And finally, the 14-piece kit comes stored in a compact and lightweight plastic bag.
- The 9-64085 Professional Cobalt Drill Bit Set offers a good range of assorted drill bits
- Cobalt bits; durable and more strong
- Specifically for hard metals
- Uses split points and starts on contact
- Comes in a plastic bag
- The smaller bits may snap easily
Buying Guide: Best Drill Bits For Metal
Things to consider below facts when buy drill bits to hole metal
Drill Bit Material
Alright. The first step to finding the Best Drill Bits for Metal isby first of all deciding on the type of surface you are going to be working on. And the most common and mainstream type of drill bits are diamond, cobalt, back oxide coated, titanium coated, steel and HSS.
- Steel, being the most common and affordable type, is great for drilling holes into soft woods. However, you may try them on hard woods as well, but it will dull the bit very quickly.
- HSS, or High-speed steel, are harder and sharper than steel drill bits. They are furthermore better at heat-resisting than steel as well. HSS bits are great for drilling onto woods, plastic, PVC and soft metals like aluminum.
- Titanium coated HSS drill bits do not produce much friction or vibration. These bits are usually tougher and harder than your regular HSS, and work great on wood, plastics, metal fiberglass and materials alike.
- Black oxide coated HSS bits have a coated finish, which help elongate the life span and durability of the bits. They work just as well on most HSS drill compatible surfaces.
- Cobalt drill bits are probably of one the more popular type of drill bits today. Keep in mind however, that these bits aren’t a 100% made out of cobalt. Rather, they use a steel alloy with 5 to 8% cobalt content. 5% is what we call M35 grade and 8% is as M42 grade. These types of bits are extremely hard and dissipate heat very quickly. Great for drill through soft metals and stainless steels.
- Diamond drill bits are very hard, and furthermore very sharp. They are best used on glass and tiles.
Compatibility With Your Drill Machine
Most drill bits, regardless of material and shape and size, will sit and fit into your drill machine very comfortably. This is very normal. However, there may be times that the shank of the drill bit won’t fit into your machine’s chuck.
We therefore always advice you to check the specification of your drilling machine before picking up any drill bit at all. Make sure that the thickness or diameter of the bit’s shanks fits perfectly into the machine’s chuck. We cannot even begin to stress how important this! If you do not pay attention to this point, chances are that you drill bit will snap from false pressure and walk or wobble. And you don’t want that. Here are a few common types of shanks to look into:
- Round shankfit into instantly into the chuck and centers perfectly.
- Hex shankcomes with flat surfaces which therefore has more angles. Consequently, it sits tightly into the chuck and reduces the wobble and walking.
- SDS shank, or Slot Driven System shanks, sits on a spring-loaded chuck of a hammer drill and doesn’t need the manual adjustments.
Drill Holes Types
These bits are by far one of the most common and versatile type of drill bits in the world. Everyone uses them and everyone buys more of them every day.
Twist bits are more or less used for every day and general-purpose repair or contraction on woods, plastics and soft, light metals.
These types of drill bits drill specifically into woods. You have a very small, fine point and there are long grooves along the flute to chuck out the chips and woods scraps. Depending on the material of your bad-point drill bit, you can drill through any type of wood.
This is furthermore another type of wood drilling bit, and is in fact very similar to the brad-point bit in terms of purpose.
However, auger bits have a hollow centre, are much thinner and longer. They drill deeper holes and get rid of more wood chips due to its empty center.
Are used on woods, and sometime metals, to drill one hole that is wider than normal drill holes. The spade bit has a sharp point, and then wide wings above it, which helps pierce the wider holes.
Hole saw bits, much like spade bits, are used to create very wide holes.
This type of drill bits are usually used to a passage for wiring, holes on cylinders and so on. Although, hole saws are used mostly on wood, you can however find bi-metal holes saws which drill through both wood and metal.
Masonry drill bit does exactly what it says it does: drills through brick and concrete.
The tips are usually carbide coated for heavy-duty drilling.
Your drilling machine will surprise you with all that it can do.
Most of us will only settle with the drill bits we get with the machine while buying it. However, your machine can in fact work with drill bits of various sizes. This makes your machine more efficient and open to doing various different types of work.
Don’t be a plain Jane. Get creative! We recommend that you get kit which comprise of bits of various sizes. And to add to that, try a range between 1/16th to ½ of an inch, at least!
Benefits To Using Best Metal Drill Bits
Drill through difference types of surfaces
The drill bits that usually come with a drilling machine usually limit themselves to a few activities only. These bits limit themselves in versatility, limits themselves in performance, and just overall skimps on doing more and better.
We therefore always advice drill machine buyers to pick up a set of drill bits on their way to the checkout. These drill bits are to a great extent more powerful than the ones you get with the machine. Now, we aren’t discrediting those either, but set drill bits are specially designed in various sizes and shanks to help you do your work better.
And consequently, these drills bits can do their magic on more than one surfaces! The drill bit you get with your machine may only work on metals or wood. However, a complete drill bit set will allow to go back and forth various different types of surfaces thanks to the huge array of sizes, material and finish. You get to make the most of your drilling machine too!
Drill Different Types Of Holes
Not all projects and surfaces will comply with the same type of drilling and holes. The type of drill bit you use and the type of hole that you need to drill depends entirely on the surface you are working on.
For instance, to repair a loose cabinet door, you may choose a smaller drill bit size from a black oxide drill bit. However, for construction purposes on glass or plastic, the drill bit that works best are cobalt.
Next, you furthermore have to take account of the shanks and sizes as well. The bottom line is: different drill bits different drill holes on different types of materials.
Something your drill machine kit may not offer it all. Luckily, there are drill bits for everything requirement. So go ahead inside a home depot and explore. The range and results are infinite so you are more than likely to find your necessary drill bit in a snap!
Top 5 Brands
There are many brands for drill bits but not all are good. Here I have listed some top drill bits brand.
DEWALT is no stranger to the tool words. It is in fact one of the most renowned power tool brands in the world.
And one thing that they are most popular for are their drill bits. DEWALT offers a great range of cordless drill bits and drill bit sets which are ready to tackle on most your projects. Their drill bits are compatible with impact driver, drill driver and cordless drilling machines for both your commercial and general needs. Drill bits from DEWALT are great for use on wood, plastic, aluminum and light steel.
2. Irwin Tools
If you are in the drilling business much, then chances are that you already heard about Irwin Tool’s drill bits a few time now.
This company produces some of the best drill bits that experts swear by. You can find everything from conventional drills that are ideal for light-duty repairs and construction, to very heavy-duty projects surrounding masonry.
BOSCH is one of the recognized power tools company in the world, and anything that comes from the brand is synonymous with quality, durability and performance. And its drill bits are no different.
BOSCH produces a huge range of drill bits that work on various surfaces and material. Cobalt, titanium, black oxide, you name, BOSCH has got it. However, the company seems to pay extra attention to offering their customers drill bits for wood since the selection is widest in this category.
If you are looking to skip the overwhelming search to creating a quality arsenal of proper drill bits, then Craftsman is an excellent place to start.
Craftsman, a household name among well. Craftsmen, produces amazing drill bits sets that should be the end of your search. You have kits starting from 14 piece that go as high up as 83 pieces and over. This brand sells a wide variety of cobalts, HSS and titanium among many more. Therefore, finding your ideal drill bit set should be a piece of cake.
Speaking of sets and kits, Mastercraft produces one of the most popular drill bit sets which comprises of a whopping 230 drill bits!
However, that’s not all the company is good at. You get find everything from cobalt, titanium, flat shank, hex shanks, and so on. The quality is great and the prices are amazing. No reason why you can’t look into it!
Care and Maintenance of Metal drill Bits
- Drills bits can reach soaring temperatures so always let your drill bits cool down before detaching and storing them inside a box.
- If your drill bit tends to get debris on it, takes a dry or damp towel and wipe it off. Letting debris sit on drill bits can cut down on their life and longevity.
- For stubborn debris and stain, use a toothbrush to brush off the gunk.
- Many people with use a light coat of machine oil to prevent and delay rusting.
- To make your drill bits last longer and sharper, invest on a drill bit sharpener.
Frequently Asked Questions About Metal Drill Bits
What angle drill bit should I use on woods?
Answer: Good question. Wood is one of the most popular materials to drill on. And knowing which angle drill bit to use is important.
We recommend that you use something along the lines of 118° twist bits. This bit can furthermore prove useful on wood and plastics as well.
How long, on general, does a drill bit last?
Answer: Well, that is difficult to answer since it depends more or less on how frequently you use it.
However, on an estimate, it should give you around 80 to 200 uses before it begins to dull down or chip. Keep in mind that the durability also relies heavily on the finish and coating of the drill bit you use.
My drill bits keep snapping, but my friend uses the same drill bit just fine. What am I doing wrong?
Answer: Hold the drill bit and the machine as straight and perpendicular against the material as possible. Do not apply too much pressure and let the machine do all the work.
So, this is it, folks! A set of quality drill bits could mean the difference between a so and so job and a brilliant outcome. We therefore think you should pay as much attention to the drill bits as you do to the drilling machine itself.
And our take on the Best Drill Bits for Metal today is your one-stop solution. We have presented you with everything from care tips, FAQs, buying guide, and furthermore comprehensive reviews 10 of the Best Drill Bits For Metal to prepare you for the challenge ahead.
So, go through our article and find the perfect match for your drilling machine. Good luck!